Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weekend Wanderings!

This weekend I went on some really awesome  (and FREE) walking tours of Glasgow. One of my friends here had found the tours, and invited us to join! The company is called Student Tours Scotland (check them out here), and the tours are all lead by a man named Gary. Gary is hilarious, easy to understand, energetic, and knows all the best parts of Glasgow (not to mention, he's a ginger, so that's awesome)! He also hosts tours that (for £15-20) go to places like Edinburgh and Loch Lomond, both of which I'm planning on going on. He has other assorted tours during the week, and I will definitely be looking into them! They're cheaper than any of the other similar tours I've heard of, and Gary is a great tour guide.

On Saturday, the tour was simply around Glasgow. We met at a nearby university and then set out. It was pretty cold, so I was dressed as such - in the end, I was still cold, but only when we stopped walking. Gary took us around the city and down to Buchanan Street, the main shopping area. He gave us some tips about where to shop (and where not to shop), and took us to some cool landmarks. During this walk, Sarah and I spotted another TARDIS and proceeded to smack each other repeatedly in excitement. Of course, Gary noticed our excitement, and promised to help us find more of the TARDISes that are around Glasgow.

Sarah has the one of me in front of this TARDIS... check Facebook for that one! I have to get her photos soon....


Sunday is a similiar story - another tour with Gary! This one was to Merchant Street and the Necropolis. It was freezing, and rainy, but we toughed it out because, Necropolis. Come on. So cool. I bundled up and set out! 

Necropolis!

Gary (in the blue) at the Necropolis

Sarah and I at the Necropolis

As promised, Gary showed us TWO MORE TARDISes on today's walk. That brings our total to 4 out of 6 TARDISes found here in Glasgow... And we haven't even been here a month. I'd call that a success. The final two are apparently impossible to find, but psh. When has that ever stopped me before?

TARDIS 3

TARDIS 4

Also, I realize the problem of having one scarf, one rain jacket, one favorite pair of jeans and one favorite pair of warm walking shoes. I swear, all these photos were taken on different days and I do have other clothes... Well, I have other shirts... :)

Anyway. Gary's tour was fantastic and even though we lost complete feeling in our feet, faces, and legs, it was worth it. After the tour ended, we stopped in a Starbucks (the 'coolbucks' one, as Gary calls it) to warm up before attempting to find Cineworld - one of the movie theatres here. It's the tallest cinema in Europe, I think. We met up with some of my flatmates, and went to see Les Miserables! I'd seen it already, but I didn't care - it's so good! It was great to spend some time with my flatmates, too. After the movie, we walked back together, and I crawled into bed because I was still chilled from earlier. I watched a movie and an episode of Doctor Who, and then decided it was sleepy time.

Sarah found this - it is the 'tallest cinema complex in the world'! Fancy!

Okay! I have to actually be a big girl now and get dressed, etc. I have my first Organic Chemistry Lab this afternoon, and I am petrified. The experiment itself doesn't sound to bad, I am just nervous because the laboratory setup and workings is different.... Ikes!

Wish me luck...



No comments:

Post a Comment